THE AMATEUR CLASS
Competition and Repertoire Requirements
|Category for Amateur Class||Repertoire Requirements|
|Category 1: Ages 6 and below||Contestant’s own choice of 1 work or 2 works
(within 1 minute to 3 minutes)
|Category 2: Ages 7 to 10||Contestant’s own choice of 2 or 3 works
(within 4 to 6 minute)
|Category 3: Ages 11 to 14||Contestant’s own choice of 2 or 3 works
(within 7 to 10 minutes)
|Category 4: Ages 15 to 17||Contestant’s own choice of 3 works
(within 11 to 15 minutes)
• The Amateur Class is opened to all young pianists residing in Malaysia aged 17 and below (born on & and after 1st Jan 2005).
• Contestants MUST perform from memory.
• The program to be performed comprises of the contestant’s own choice of works as the competition for Amateur Class celebrates the joy of piano playing and the rich diversity of music making.
• It is recommended that the contestant presents a balanced programme of a variety of music styles, period and composers. While contestant is encouraged to perform a wide repertoire, the programme preferably also includes classical piano music from different genres and time periods.
• All pertinent program details (Composer, Work, Key, Op., No., Hob., K. designations) for each movement of the work intended for performance must be listed.
• Original compositions and improvisations are not permitted. No concerti or transcriptions are allowed.
• Repeats may be played at the discretion of the contestant, but are not required.
• Jury has the right to request for the photocopies of all the scores from the contestants.
• Contestants will have to perform all repertoires as stated in the application form.
• Contestants would be playing on a Steinway Grand throughout the competition.
• Video Recording will be conducted in a continuous, live-recording manner at Steinway Showroom (Mutiara Damansara or Penang Gurney Paragon Mall) by our recording team in one take only. Repeating or re-recording of performance is not permitted.
• The Amateur Class is open to all young pianists residing in Malaysia aged 17 and below (born on & and after 1st Jan 2005).
• Category 1: Ages 6 and below (i.e. born on or after 1st Jan 2016)
• Category 2: Ages 7 and 10 below (i.e. born between and inclusive of 1st Jan 2012 and 31st Dec 2015)
• Category 3: Ages 11 to 14 (i.e. born between and inclusive of 1st Jan 2008 and 31st Dec 2011)
• Category 4: Ages 15 to 17 (i.e. born between and inclusive of 1st Jan 2005 and 31st Dec 2007)
Jan 1 Registration Opens
Mar 31 Registration Closes
May 26 & 27 SMYPC Video Recording (Category 1)
May 30 & 31 SMYPC Video Recording (Category 2)
June 1 & 2 SMYPC Video Recording (Category 3)
June 3 & 4 SMYPC Video Recording (Category 4)
July/August Steinway Winners Celebration Concert and Award Ceremony
*Dates may be subject to change.
Prizes & Recognition
• Ten Awards for each Category :
- Gold (1 award winner)
- Silver (1 award winner)
- Bronze (1 award winner)
- Excellence Award (7 award winners)
• All award winners will receive certificates and commemorative trophies.
• An invitation to all award winners to perform at Steinway Winners Celebration Concert and Award Ceremony.
• Award winners will receive national recognition on steinwaymypc.com and the opportunity to be featured on Steinway Malaysia’s social media.
• An invitation to all contestants to attend exclusive Steinway Webinars (Topics to encompass Competition Preparation, Practicing & Performing and more)
• Certificate of recognition for all contestants.
• All contestants will receive the video recording of their performances on Steinway Grand.
|Category for Amateur Class||Entry Fee|
|Category 1: Ages 6 and below||RM180|
|Category 2: Ages 7 to 10||RM220|
|Category 3: Ages 11 to 14||RM260|
|Category 4: Ages 15 to 17||RM300|
• STEP 1
• Registration starts 1st Jan, 2022 and closes 31st Mar, 2022
• A non-refundable entry fee must be paid at the time of online registration
• Payment through online transfer only
• STEP 2
• Once payment is made, please click HERE to fill in the online application & upload the Bank-in Slip/Bank Giro Receipt.
• Please get ready the following documents (in JPEG or PDF format) as these documents are to be uploaded at the end of the online application submission:
(1) A photocopy of MyKad, MyKid or Passport
(2) Recent photo (preferably professional photo)
(3) Proof of payment (bank-in-slip/bank giro receipt)
Rules for Video Recording
• Video Recording will be conducted at Steinway Showroom (Mutiara Damansara or Penang Gurney Paragon Mall) whereby contestants will be playing on a Steinway Grand.
• Contestants will have to perform all repertoires stated in the application form for our recording purposes in one take only. Repeating or re-recording of performance is not permitted as mandated by the adjudicators.
• Each contestant is given up to 10 minutes maximum warm up time prior commencement of the video recording.
• Only one of the parents/family members is allowed entry during warming up. Photography/videography is allowed during warm up time.
• Video recording can only be done by our representative from Steinway, no other recording or devices are permitted.
• Parents/family members/teachers are NOT allowed entry during video recording.
• Contestants are advised to come dressed formally and appropriately for the video recording.
• Failure to comply to our schedule of video recording will result in disqualification. No compensation will be given.
• Contestants are not allowed to change repertoire once the application form is submitted.
• The participating pianist should be non-professional, not playing for fees, signed to an agent or management.
• Contestant is not allowed to take part in both the Amateur Class and Professional Class simultaneously.
• All decisions of the jury are final.
• Click HERE to view other General Rules and Jury Rules.