THE AMATEUR CLASS
Competition and Repertoire Requirements
|Category for Amateur Class||Repertoire Requirements|
|Category 1: Ages 6 and below||Contestant’s own choice of 1 work or 2 works
(within 1 minute to 3 minutes)
|Category 2: Ages 7 to 10||Contestant’s own choice of 2 or 3 works
(within 4 to 6 minute)
|Category 3: Ages 11 to 14||Contestant’s own choice of 2 or 3 works
(within 7 to 10 minutes)
|Category 4: Ages 15 to 17||Contestant’s own choice of 3 works
(within 11 to 15 minutes)
• The Amateur Class is opened to all young pianists residing in Malaysia aged 17 and below (born on & and after 1st Jan 2005).
• Contestants MUST perform from memory.
• The program to be performed comprises of the contestant’s own choice of works. However, the contestants are encouraged to perform a balanced program of contrasting styles and includes classical music from different eras.
• All pertinent program details (Composer, Work, Key, Op., No., Hob., K. designations) for each movement of the work intended for performance must be listed.
• Original compositions and improvisations are not permitted. No concerti or transcriptions are allowed.
• Repeats may be played at the discretion of the contestant, but are not required.
• Jury has the right to request for the photocopies of all the scores from the contestants.
• Contestants will have to perform all repertoires as stated in the application form.
• Contestants would be playing on a Steinway Grand throughout the competition.
• Video Recording will be conducted in a continuous, live-recording manner at Steinway Showroom (Mutiara Damansara or Penang Gurney Paragon Mall) by our recording team in one take only. Repeating or re-recording of performance is not permitted.
• The Amateur Class is open to all young pianists residing in Malaysia aged 17 and below (born on & and after 1st Jan 2005).
• Category 1: Ages 6 and below (i.e. born on or after 1st Jan 2016)
• Category 2: Ages 7 and 10 below (i.e. born between and inclusive of 1st Jan 2012 and 31st Dec 2015)
• Category 3: Ages 11 to 14 (i.e. born between and inclusive of 1st Jan 2008 and 31st Dec 2011)
• Category 4: Ages 15 to 17 (i.e. born between and inclusive of 1st Jan 2005 and 31st Dec 2007)
Jan 1 Registration Opens
Mar 31 Registration Closes
May 26 SMYPC Video Recording (Category 1)
May 28-30 SMYPC Video Recording (Category 2)
June 1-3 SMYPC Video Recording (Category 3)
June 4 & 5 SMYPC Video Recording (Category 4)
August 13 & 14 Steinway Winners Celebration Concert and Award Ceremony
*Dates may be subject to change.
Prizes & Recognition
• Ten Awards for each Category :
- Gold (1 award winner)
- Silver (1 award winner)
- Bronze (1 award winner)
- Excellence Award (7 award winners)
• All award winners will receive certificates and commemorative trophies.
• An invitation to all award winners to perform at Steinway Winners Celebration Concert and Award Ceremony.
• Award winners will receive national recognition on steinwaymypc.com and the opportunity to be featured on Steinway Malaysia’s social media.
• An invitation to all contestants to attend exclusive Steinway Webinars (Topics to encompass Competition Preparation, Practicing & Performing and more)
• Certificate of recognition for all contestants.
• All contestants will receive the video recording of their performances on Steinway Grand.
|Category for Amateur Class||Entry Fee|
|Category 1: Ages 6 and below||RM180|
|Category 2: Ages 7 to 10||RM220|
|Category 3: Ages 11 to 14||RM260|
|Category 4: Ages 15 to 17||RM300|
• STEP 1
• Registration starts 1st Jan, 2022 and closes 31st Mar, 2022
• A non-refundable entry fee must be paid at the time of online registration
• Payment through online transfer only
• STEP 2
• Once payment is made, please click HERE to fill in the online application & upload the Bank-in Slip/Bank Giro Receipt.
• Please get ready the following documents (in JPEG or PDF format) as these documents are to be uploaded at the end of the online application submission:
(1) A photocopy of MyKad, MyKid or Passport
(2) Recent photo (preferably professional photo)
(3) Proof of payment (bank-in-slip/bank giro receipt)
Rules for Video Recording
• Video Recording will be conducted at Steinway Showroom (Mutiara Damansara or Penang Gurney Paragon Mall) whereby contestants will be playing on a Steinway Grand.
• Contestants will have to perform all repertoires stated in the application form for our recording purposes in one take only. Repeating or re-recording of performance is not permitted as mandated by the adjudicators.
• Each contestant is given up to 10 minutes maximum warm up time prior commencement of the video recording.
• Only one of the parents/family members is allowed entry during warming up. Photography/videography is allowed during warm up time.
• Video recording can only be done by our representative from Steinway, no other recording or devices are permitted.
• Parents/family members/teachers are NOT allowed entry during video recording.
• Contestants are advised to come dressed formally and appropriately for the video recording.
• Failure to comply to our schedule of video recording will result in disqualification. No compensation will be given.
• Contestants are not allowed to change repertoire once the application form is submitted.
• The participating pianist should be non-professional, not playing for fees, signed to an agent or management.
• Contestant is not allowed to take part in both the Amateur Class and Professional Class simultaneously.
• All decisions of the jury are final.
• Click HERE to view other General Rules and Jury Rules.